Saturday, July 26, 2014

A simple exchange.

Every time I walk through the carrefour, no matter how many times per day, I stop to chat with my onion guy, a kind old man with graying hair and few teeth.

He is one of the many community members who truly pushes me to learn Fulfulde, and very obviously appreciates (or at least is amused by) my effort.

Sometimes our exchanges are as simple as a greeting.  On more than one occasion, I’m pretty sure that I accidentally agreed to be his wife (after which he simply laughed at my foolishness by saying “Kai, Mariamma, kaiiii” – “No, Maria, nooo.”)

One of our little Fulfulde exchanges the other day was considerably more amusing than usual.

Maria:  Sannu sobajo,  jam na?  [Hi friend, how are you?]
Onion Guy:  Sannu, Mariamma, sannu!  Jamnitow!  Jam bandu na? [Hi Maria, hi! I'm great!  How are you?]
M: Jam koo dume. [I'm doing well!]
OG:  A humi ha toy?  A humi Garoua na? [Where are you coming from?  Are you coming from Garoua?]
M:  Ooho, mi humi Garoua. [Yes, I'm coming from Garoua]
OG:  A don hota?  [You're going home?]
M:  Kai.  Mi don sooda mongoro.  [Nope.  I'm going to buy a mango.]
OG:  A don sooda mongoro didi?  Mi don nyaama mongoro? [Are you going to buy two mangos?  I'm going to eat one?]
M:  Mi don sooda didi?  [So I'm going to buy two?] 
OG:  Ooho.  Mi yidi mongoro.  [Yes.  I want a mango.]
M:  Mais tu as tignéré!  A yiday tignéré?!  [But you have onions!  You dont want onions?!]
OG:  Kaaaaiiii!  Mi nyaamay tignéré!! [Noooo!  I can't eat onions!]
M: A don defa tignéré?  [but you'll cook the onions?]
OG:  Kaaaiii.  [Nooo]
M:  Okay.  Mi don soota mongoro didi.  [Okay, I'll buy two mangos.]

A minute later I returned with two mangos, handing one to the onion man.

OG:  Usoko!  Usoko jur!!  [Thanks! Thanks a lot!!]
M:  Mais je vais prendre les onions maintenant.  [But I'm going to take some onions now.]
OG:  Oui, ca va!  C’est bien! [Yes, no problem!  That's good!]
M (takes a handful of onions):  Mi hoti.  Sey jango.  [I'm going home.  See you tomorrow.]
OG:  Sey jango, Mariamma!  [See you tomorrow, Maria!]

1 comment:

  1. Very Good! I will have to check my Fulfulde letter to see if any of these words are there! I am still translating! I doubt if Onion was one of the words! I see some french in there too!

    ReplyDelete