Sunday, November 17, 2013

Buh-bye Bafia!

I'm packing up my bags and saying goodbye to Bafia in just a matter of days now.  Though I am beyond excited to finish training and begin my service, I will definitely miss my homestay family.  Yes, there were plenty of times where it totally sucked having a curfew everynight and never being able to choose my own meals (you have my word: starting the minute I leave Bafia, I will never eat another bite of fish in my entire life), but I just wanted to share how incredibly appreciative I am for my host family. 

Mama Lydie, Papa Piment, Epiphany, and Patricia have done nothing but welcome me into their home, and have helped me to feel so comfortable here in Cameroon.  They put up with my horrible french at the beginning, correcting my grammar and pronunciation until I became comfortable enough to hold what I feel like is a more-than-half-decent conversation.  They openly and honestly answered any cultural questions that I had, and would always listen attentively as I rambled about things from back home.

They adapted their diets by adding more veggies when they wanted meat, and by cooking potatoes for me when they prefer manioc.  They even pretended to love the meal that I cooked for them that one time. 

Mama Lydie nagged me about cleaning my room and washing my sheets, just like any good mom would, and Papa Piment lectured me about safety and security if I ever did anything stupid, just like any good father should (don't worry...I didn't really do anything thaaat stupid).  They cooked soup for me when I was sick and always let me drink as much of my favorite juice as I wanted, despite the intense labor that goes into making it (cassamangue juice, fyi.  It's beyond amazing.)  

And they've never even questioned the fact that I sleep nearly 10 hours a night when everyone else is already awake and doing chores by 5:30AM! 

I think you guys are getting the point here... my host family has been kind of awesome.  I am totally ready to move to post, but to be honest, it will be a bit strange to come home to an empty house every night.  And while part of my is excited to be able to cook and eat whatever I want, whenever I want, the real Maria deep inside of me knows that whatever/whenever will really just be cookies and chocolate, ALL THE TIME!  (My host family and I have been joking that I should leave all of my clothes behind and just fill my suitcases with chocolate.  Real-Mom was proud of this plan.  The cassamangue doesn't fall far from the tree!) 

Today I packed up all of my bags, and Peace Corps loaded them up into a bus.  They'll be driving my luggage up to Ngaoundéré, where my gazillion-hour train ride ends.  Then, reunited with my belongings, I'll hop on a bus and drive for hopefully no more than another 6 hours to Garoua.  I should be arriving at my house in Sanguere-Paul either Friday night or Saturday morning (at which point I will mark the beginning of my service by cracking open that jar of Nutella and 5-pound bag of skittles that I've demonstrated oh-so-much self control with for the past 2 months). 

Papa Piment helped me rearrange all of my things into my metal trunk, making sure that I could jam as much stuff in there as possible, and the entire family tag-teamed to make sure that I didn't put any dirty clothes or shoes in my suitcase ("You can't arrive to the North with dirty shoes!  You just cant!"). Mama Lydie and I shared a squeal of excitement (mixed with stress due to the fact that I wasn't entirely finished packing) when the Peace Corps came to gather up my stuff.  She helped me stuff Stanley's head into the bag, and then the bags were out the door! 

Enjoy the train ride, Stan! 
I guess it's kind of late in the game, but I wanted to share with you some photos of my house here in Bafia before it becomes completely irrelevant once I move up North! 

Here is my cozy little bedroom, messy as always.  Though this picture was taken weeks ago, and now the room is practically empty.  

Look, Ma!  Clean counters! 

Fridge and stove! Though I'd say at least 75% of the meals are cooked on a wood fire in the kitchen house out back.



Dining room table.

My host-sister Patricia and a few of her friends watching TV.  (Patricia is the middle one)

And of course, this is what they were watching!  Gotta love Dora the Explorer!   (Did you know she speaks French too?!)
This is the only picture I have that kind of shows the front of our house... but I thought I'd take the opportunity to show off my new pagne dress!  Love Lianna's dress here too!
So there you have it!  In less than a week now, I'll be taking pictures of my new house in Sanguere-Paul instead!  (Though I'll try my best to not wait so long to post them.)  

If you guys are interested and happen to be awake before the crack of dawn, try tuning into our swearing-in ceremony!  Click here on the morning of Wednesday, November 20th, at 4AM Eastern Time (if you love me enough / care enough to wake up that early):  http://www.afromotion.net///////////afrotv/43/Crtv-Cameroun
I'm sure it'll be a real gem!

That's it for now!  Catch ya later, folks! 

3 comments:

  1. Can I podcast the ceremony? That's pretty early. U Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Lydie, Papa Piment, Epiphany, et Patricia -- Merci de prendre soin de ma petite fille.

    Can't wait to watch. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your blog, sweetie. You even brought a few tears to my eyes. I am as excited as you are about your new beginning. I will be thinking of you during the long journey. luv you a whole bunch, Gram

    ReplyDelete