Monday, January 6, 2014

You've got questions? I've got answers!

It's been about a month and a half here in Sanguéré-Paul, and I seem to be getting a lot of recurring questions from friends and family, so I figured why not put 'em all together and answer everyone at once?  I'm always willing to answer questions, so never hesitate to ask!

Q:  How hot is it?
A:  HAWT.  My default answer to this has been 104°F, but this was based off the only time I had ever seen a thermometer, which was over a month ago on Thanksgiving.  Well, I now have a brand spankin’ new thermometer, so I can answer this question for real!  (Let’s keep in mind that it is currently “cold season”).  I woke up this morning and thermometer was hovering around 70° up until 8 or 9AM.  It’s always a bit cooler in my house, but my thermometer is placed in the shade on my veranda.  Throughout the day, the needle usually hovers around 90°.  By now, this is what feels comfortable – much more comfortable than the morning briskness that makes me thankful that I brought a sweatshirt and winter leggings (because yes, 70° really does feel that cold to me now!).  So just to do a little experiment, I put the thermometer out in the sun.  After all, if I go for a walk there’s not always an easy way to find refuge in the shade!  And guess what the thermometer said?  (Well, nothing, of course! Because it can’t talk!  harharhar)  We’re back to my default answer: 104°.
EDIT (1/22/2014):  This happened:
And apparently this is nothing compared to what's coming in March.
EDIT (3/31/2014):  It's officially hot season.  130° (at least!) in the sun, 105° in the shade. Sweat.  So much sweat.

Q:  What do people in Sanguéré-Paul do for fun?
A:  I'm becoming a bit better able to answer this question each and every day.  There is an outdoor “cabaret” that runs probably from noon to midnight everyday (and even later during the holiday season), and music is blaring while everybody drinks bil-bil (local bear) and dances.  Then again, those who don't drink usually avoid the cabaret.  I often here a lot of drumming and singing happening at the church near my house, though this is most likely associated with the holidays or other celebrations.  During the holidays, various church groups put on theater performances, which drew quite a crowd and caused a lot of laughs (though it was all in Fulfulde, so the jokes were all lost on me).  Children can be found singing and chasing each other around – the other day, I’m pretty sure I witnessed a Fulfulde version of “ring-around-the-rosie”.  Kids are always playing everyday objects that they have turned into toys, the most common being old bike tires, which they will tap with a stick and chase it down the path.  Then of course, soccer is extremely popular all throughout Cameroon – both watching it and playing it.  I have also seen many people playing cards, though I have not yet had the courage to join.  


Q: How is the Fulfulde coming along?
A: Seda seda.  Petit à petit.  Ça va aller.  I’ve got my salutations down, or so I think.  I can usually hold a conversation of 5 or 6 questions back and forth until I give a blank stare and get laughed at (in the nicest way possible, or so I like to pretend).  These questions include:  How’s it going?  How is your health?  How is the house?  Did you sleep well?  How is the fatigue? How is the cold?  (YES!  THEY REALLY ASK THIS!)  And sometimes, noy gorko ma?  (How is your man?)  -- A question to which I awkwardly laugh because I don’t know how to explain that no, I do not have a husband and I am not currently looking for one (though when speaking French I sometimes pretend that I’m married to my cat.  This confuses people.  I don’t think they get me...) 

Q: So…what kind of actual work are you doing right now?
A:  HA.  Moving on…  (but actually, I’ll answer this question in my next post)

Q:  What is the market like?
A:  Sanguéré-Paul’s market occurs every Wednesday.  I was surprised to learn that on market day, there is not much more produce available than any other regular day: just the usual of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and hot peppers.  However, on market day, you can get lots of other nifty things:  used clothes, pagne and other fabric, buckets, dishes, utensils, locks, jewelry, flashlights and other household tools…pretty much anything your heart desires!  Well, okay…maybe I wouldn’t go that far.  After all, there is no Nutella (and definitely no “Mr. Nutella”).  In general though, it’s not much different than any of the other African markets I’ve been to, except for the fact that it is much smaller than any other market I’ve been too, and therefore much less intimidating.


Q: How much do things cost in your village?
A: Here are some examples of the prices of things I can get in Sanguéré-Paul everyday:
  • 1 tasse of tomatoes (4 or 5 tomatoes) = 100cfa / $0.20
  • 1 tasse of onions (4 onions) = 100cfa / $0.20
  • 1 tasse cucumbers (4 cucumbers) = 100cfa / $0.20
  • 1 kg flour = 500 cfa / $1.00
  • 1 kg sugar = 650 cfa / $1.30
  • 1 baggie (about ¼ cup) peanuts (either salted or caramel):  25cfa / $0.05
  • 1 baggie all natural peanut butter (probably ¼ cup):  50cfa / $0.10
  • 1 small Mambo chocolate bar :  150 cfa / $0.30
  • 1 beer (about the size of two beers back home) = 500cfa / $1.00

Q: Aren’t you afraid of big, scary, African animals?  Lions and tigers and bears and such?
A: No.  I am invincible.  A.K.A. There aren’t really many wild animals remaining here in northern Cameroon, unless you count lizards

No comments:

Post a Comment