Monday, May 13, 2013

Mr. Nutella

One of Stone Town’s greatest attractions is Forodhani Garden, or the Night Market.  At roughly 6:00PM each day, vendors start setting up tables in the big public square by the waterfront, where they‘ll stay probably until at least midnight, though I've never stayed long enough to see when they go home.  This is where both tourists and locals can go to get some cheap and delicious street eats!

Kebabs, fresh fish, octopus, falafel, samosas, french fries, sugarcane juice… There are so many options, yet I always head straight to the same vendor: Mr. Nutella.

There’s this magical thing called Zanzibar Pizza, and that’s exactly what Mr. Nutella's specialty is.  While you can order a cheese pizza, a vegetable pizza, or a seafood pizza, I always go for a different option -- Nutella pizza.  Anyone who knows anything about me knows that pizza and Nutella are staples in my happiness, so the thought of combining the two?  Mmm.  You can only imagine my delight!

To make this culinary masterpiece, Mr. Nutella pinches out a thin crepe-like piece of dough, spreads a blob of Nutella on it, and then folds another piece of dough on top. He plops it down on to the griddle and lets it fry away in globs of vegetable fat.  You can order Nutella and peanut butter, Nutella and mango, Nutella and banana, Nutella and pineapple…the options are endless!  I always keep it simple…plain ol’ Nutella.

Once again, mmm.

Zanzibar may be bad for my arteries, but it's absolutely fantastic for my soul.

Do you prefer penate buton or pronze?



4 comments:

  1. Yumm, so I guess we can eat this jar of Nutella I was saving for when you come home! I bet Mr. Nutella knows you by now. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were kidding when you called him Mr. Nutella. Just Like Mrs. Julia and Mr. Big Dog!

      Delete
    2. Nuh uh, Mr. Nutella is as real as ever! Apparently his son just opened up another Zanzibar pizza shop. I call him "Baby Nutella", but I don't think that's his real name...

      Delete
  2. I can taste that now!! We will have to try that when you come home. It sure looks good and healthy to me. I enjoyed our little conversation this afternoon. Love you, Gram

    ReplyDelete