Thursday, May 30, 2013

shanga wa karatasi [paper beads]

Three days left until I begin my journey home!

My last few days at MYDO were spent organizing and participating in a paper bead workshop, taught by a local artist from the Cultural Arts Center in Stone Town.  To me, this was truly an amazing way to end my volunteership.


You may be asking: What's useful about a paper bead workshop?  Well, I'll tell ya!

First of all, part of MYDO's mission as a youth development organization is to help provide local youth with skills and knowledge to be empowered and to have access to better career opportunities.  Since tourism is such a huge industry in Zanzibar, there is a lot of money to be made from crafts (trust me...my wallet could tell you all about this!).  So we invited 9 local young women (ages 18-25) to join us in learning how to make paper bead jewelry -- a simple yet beautiful craft that can be made with available resources and then turned into profit.

Listening attentively to Hamad, our teacher from the Cultural Arts Center.
But wait Maria, I thought you were working on an environment project!  Why are you wasting time on Arts & Crafts?!

The environmental aspect is what makes this even cooler!  Making paper beads is not only a way to generate income, but it's also a great way to encourage recycling.  Obviously making one bracelet isn't going to recycle enough paper to really make a significant impact, but by teaching a recycling art, we hope that our local youth will become inspired by other items they may otherwise see as trash.  Soda cans, glass bottles, newspapers... There are so many opportunities; paper beads are just the beginning!

I was really excited to have a chance to sit in on the workshop and learn how the beads are made.  I had first been introduced to this craft two years ago during my visit to Jinja, Uganda.  Last semester at McGill, I even wrote a hypothetical business proposal for craft tourism workshops, focusing on paper beads.  It's a craft that has been very present in my travels and apparently in my studies too, so it was really special to conclude my time in Zanzibar learning how to make them myself.

Step 1:  Measure out marks on the paper to know where you are going to cut.

Step 2:  Cut the paper into long, skinny triangles.  Don't cut your fingers.

Step 3:  Roll the paper around a toothpick.  Try to keep it centered, or else you'll end up with abstract Maria-style beads.

Step 4:  Use a toothpick to apply glue to keep the end of the paper in tact.  Voila!  You now have paper beads!

Maimuna is pondering as she completes Step 5:  Place the beads onto a string (fishing line will work just fine) and dip it into clear varnish.

Maimuna is watching me closely so that I don't mess up!

Uh oh Mai, did I do something wrong? (Despite her murderous stare, she is absolutely the sweetest, funniest, and most loving young lady in all of Zanzibar!)

Ah, my pretty varnished bead up close!
Step 6:  Hang the beads up to dry.

Look at those beauties!

Tomorrow morning we'll meet again to finish up our jewelry.  Once the varnish dries, we can take the beads off of the fishing line and make bracelets, necklaces, or earrings.  Huzzah!

The following day will be my farewell party with MYDO, since I leave Zanzibar on Sunday afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. Perfect way to end your stay. Bring us home a sample -- including Maria-style abstract! Love you. See you soon. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetheart. That was really cool. Maybe you can start making them in your spare time!!!!Won't that be a profitable craft. Thank you so much for our card from Africa. I am so proud of it. It is really a keepie. I will be praying for a safe trip home, honey.I hope they don't lose your luggage. So long and we will talk to you in Boston. Love you so much, Gram

    ReplyDelete