Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jina langu ni Maria [My name is Maria]

Okay kiddies.  Please don't hate me for posting yet another entry without pictures.  This time I tried, I promise.  But I wrote everything yesterday, and then it started raining cats and alligators, so the power went out while my photos were uploading and everything got all ahfl;ajdslfkagkjlgkj.  Today, I just plain forgot to bring my camera cords (I didn't think I'd be going to the cyber, so I wasn't prepared).  They will come soon though, have no fear!!  I know that when I read blogs, I only look at the pictures, because I really don't know how to read...but I am trying my best! [JUST KIDDING FOLKS!  AS OF 6/15/2011, THERE ARE PICTURES!  HUZZAH!!!]

Yesterday I went to Tumaini for the first time (the school where I'll be volunteering.)  In the morning, I sung the alphabet song with the baby class, and read an awesome story about jungle animals.
This is the baby class...I assure you that most of the time we were there, the kids WERE actually smiling...here I think they were just confused by the camera.

Then Amy and I taught the kids how to play frisbee.

The children really enjoy playing with the new jump rope that we brought.

In the afternoon I sat in on a grade 3 science class, where I learned about planting maize and bean seeds, and then guess what?  I taught P.E.!!  Or rather, I taught a bunch of kids how to play "Duck, Duck, Goose!" and the teacher had to translate for me.  'Twas pretty fun though.  The kids really only know how to say, "Hi, how are you?" in English, but hopefully soon we'll be able to communicate better.

The day before yesterday, I went hiking in Kakamega Forest (Kenya's only rainforest) with Sabrina, Julie, and Stacey.  SOOOO MANY MONKEYS!! And butterflies, and medicinal plants, and other things that are less exciting than monkeys.

 
Here's a picture of me inside of a Strangler Tree.  I kind of look like a boy in this picture...but hey, I'm in Africa, so shuddup. 

There were tons of crazy trees like this one... I think this is the one that our tourguide said was over 600 years old, but I could be lying to you and you'd NEVER EVER EVER know!

The monkey pictures didn't come out so well because my camera couldn't zoom well, so let's pretend there are some in this photo. :)

After we left the forest, I tried my first Kenyan beer!

On the way home from the forest, it was pouring rain like CRAZY and my seat in the matatu happened to be the only one under a leak in the roof.  It was...interesting.  I'm also learning that pikipikis in the rain are not the most fun...They get stuck in the mud quite often.  Well actually, they are really SUPER fun, but maybe not the safest mode of transportation.  You would all be aghast at how terrible the roads get here everytime it rains.

Today we went to Bungoma to meet with ACE Africa, an organization that does a lot of work in the area revolving around AIDS/HIV.  Part of their work is creating gardens so that people living with AIDS, and their families, can have the proper nutrition for cheaper costs.  The meeting went really well, and we were able to set up a two day seminar where experts will come teach community members about organic farming.  Hopefully this will spark a lot of interest in Anerico's community garden!  I'm really looking forward to see how this progresses. 

P.S.  Soon I'll give you a tour of my house!  Last night there was a lizard in the shower!  Thankfully it was either gone by my turn or just too dark for me to see it.

P.P.S.  I have been trying to take pictures of all the creepy crawlies I see (it's tricky though, because sometimes they are just too creepy, and sometimes they are just too crawly).  So maybe soon I'll be able to dedicate a special post just to those! 

P.P.P.S.  I don't think I will be seeing anymore Walters :(

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of the monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock girlie girl. We love reading about your adventure. We'll have to teach g-ma haw to post a comment when she is here at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete