Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nakupenda Kenya! [I love you Kenya!]

Hey everyone!  It's been quite a while!  I can't believe I've already been in Africa for 15 days... that's 25% of my journey completed already!  Wowzers!

I thought it might be time to give you a nice little tour of my house here in Makadara (supposedly that's the name of my exact location...hmmm).

Let's start with my house.
Here it is!  Tucked behind some nice little trees, and surrounded on all sides with maize fields.  I'm surprised that there are no chickens or turkeys in this photo, because we always have huge flocks of poultry clucking about, including a nasty white turkey, who frequently likes to attack me! 

Anyways, the house is a cozy little place, with 4 rooms...one bedroom for Rose (the fantastic woman who cooks fantastic food for us!), one bedroom with 4 beds (where Juli, Sabrina, Amy and I sleep), and then the main room, which has our kitchen, table, chairs, a couch, and 2 more beds (one is for Stacey, the other is empty)...and then I guess there is one other mysterious room which exists although I have never seen it...
Above is a picture of my bedroom, or as we like to say "the Room of Life."  The bottom bunk belongs to moi!  As you can see, I'm just as messy in Kenya as I am at home!!  The dark thing on the left is the other bunk bed.  Fun stuff, eh?  I don't know why it looks like I don't have a mosquito net...I assure you, Mom, that I do!  Maybe it's just that blue thing in the middle...hmmmmf.  This picture was taken a while ago, so now the net is set up like a nice, spacious tent.  I've learned to really appreciate the net...it protects me from all the creepy crawlies...like the cockroach we saw one night that was AS BIG AS MY HEAD!  You think I'm exaggerating?  mmmmm....maybe.  But not by much.

Here comes the fun part!
 You guessed it!  That's our handydandy bathroom!  The door on the left is our shower, or rather a room with a slanted floor (to act as a drain).  We get about half a bucket of water each night, and surprisingly, it's plenty!  It makes me realize that I probably use superfluous amounts of water back home.  I shower at night, usually after dark, so I have to bring my headlamp and hang it on the door.  I've actually gotten quite used to the whole process.  The door on the right is our toilet.  I'll leave that up to your imagination...

Okay kiddies! That's it for now!  On Saturday I'll be travelling to Uganda for some white-water rafting down the Nile!   Can't wait to tell you all about it, assuming I am not eaten by crocodiles...

P.S.  I'm going to go through my past few entries and add some pictures, so be sure to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment