Monday, June 27, 2011

Safari [journey]

After long matatu ride through the country with three transfers, Amy and I arrived in Kisumu!  We checked in at the "Sooper Guest House" at about 1PM, and were amazed that our room had not only running water and electricity, but a television as well!!!  Kenyan soap operas tonight?  Heck yes!!  And then things just got even more mind-blowing when we discovered that the restaurant we ate lunch at had....LIGHTS AND CEILING FANS!! WOOOWWWW!!!

After lunch we went to Hippo Point for a hippo safari boat ride.  It was just the two of us on a boat, with the guide and a driver...A nice personal safari!  The guide was 'sooper' informative and pointed out all the different birds and plants.  As we cruised past the mangroves, we even caught a glimpse of an antelope!  Oh and how could I forget about the hippos?  There were about twenty of them in all, and the took turns submerging and resurfacing, and even threw in a couple yawns for us. Ohhh hippos...


The boat ride turned sour when we got into a minor quarrel with some local fishermen...but that's a story for another time!


The scenery on Lake Victoria was amazing!  Once again, I hope you guys have good imaginations because yep, you guessed it: my camera is back in the Sooper Guest House.  But once I'm back in Eshibanze, I'll put some up.

Now we're killing time at the cyber before dinner, and then tomorrow we'll hit up the local markets before heading back to the village!!

7 comments:

  1. Hey girly girl! We have an outdoor shower too! Having lots of fun, but missing you lots!!! I need a kayak buddy cause your mother can't keep time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Hello??? Are you out there? We're all having a miserable time because you're not here and you are ignoring us! Actually, we're having and awesome time, but are truly missing you. Suz and I rented a scooter on Martha's Vineyard today. Not quite as exciting as a hippo, in fact, it pales in comparison to a hippo, but we live every moment.

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited to see photos of hippos. Your trip sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh the pressures on! I'm such a slowpoke with pictures!! You'll see hippos eventually guys...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep posting such type of wonderful and amazing sfari tours,
    political fundraising ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of my favorite thing about to do in my spare time.I wanna know about some safari camps details.
    Dubai Desert Safari

    ReplyDelete