Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kuku [chicken]

After my trip to Uganda, I jumped right back into working in the village.  Wednesday I spent the morning working on budget reports for the school, and then in the afternoon, I attended the Tumaini CBO meeting.  I must say, the meeting went fantastically!  We are on the verge of starting an HIV/AIDS support group in the community, and also beginning a brick-making business as a way to fund resources for the support group as well as AIDS education in the area.  After this meeting, I feel like the CBO definitely shows some real promise for the future, and I'm super excited to get more involved with these projects! 

Thursday, Amy and I got busy with some manual labor:  we spent the day mudding Anerico's chicken house!  Mudding was super fun -- you get to pick up handfuls of mud and throw it as hard as you can at the wall!  Sometimes, you could see worms squirming around on the wall...Mmmm!  We had an audience too.  Anerico's neighbors thought it was pretty amusing that he had mzungus mudding for him.  I guess it was quite a sight!  We were pretty messy!  Or, I was anyways.  Every time I threw mud, it would splatter back at me.  By the end of the day, I was covered head to toe in mud.  After about four hours, we were pretty tired out, so we stopped to eat lunch.  Anerico cooked us some ugali (a cornmeal-based doughy creation) and sukuma wiki (kale).  The only problem was that ugali is traditionally eaten with your fingers!  So after mudding all day, our lunch had quite an earthy taste...but it was still delicious anyways! :)

I pinky promise that pictures of mudding will be up soon!  My hands were waaayyy too messy for photography, but somehow Amy was purrrdy clean...so all the photos are on her camera.  I'll steal them from her ASAP!

3 comments:

  1. I hope it was only mud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mud and worms!! At first I was a bit nervous, thinking that it was cow dung...but it turns out that poop is only smeared on the floors, not the walls. :D

    ReplyDelete