Saturday, June 4, 2011

Karibu! [Welcome!]

Today was my first full day in the village of Eshibanze!  First, let me tell you about our journey from Nairobi.  Daniel was supposed to be picking us up from the Wildebeest Camp at 6:30 AM, so we had planned on waking up with plenty of time for one last real shower, and maybe some breakfast.  But of course I didn't wake up until 6:33.  It's a good thing Daniel was late as well!

We took a matatu (a small shuttle bus, for about 9 passengers) to Bungoma.  The ride took about 6 or 7 hours, but we drove through the Rift Valley, so it was really enjoyable.  You would not believe how many cows and goats are wandering on the side of the road.  And my new favorite animal for the next two months: donkeys.  They were EVERYWHERE!!!

Arriving in Bungoma was sooo hectic, but thankfully Stacey, Julie, and Sabrina (the other volunteers) were there to greet us.  After a lunch of bread and beans (mmmmmm), we hopped on another matatu.  This time, there were 16 passengers, in a 9 passenger van, plus all of Amy's and my luggage.  But here comes the best part.  After that matatu ride, I hopped on the back of a piki piki (motorbike), with my luggage, in the rain, on muddy roads, and through a couple streams.  So ridiculous. 

But now we're safe and sound at the volunteer house.  Today Stacey showed me around and introduced me to some of the projects that I might be working on.  Tomorrow, we'll be helping Anrico with his community garden. 

And my final adventure of the day, Stacey and I went for a run with my new friend Hamza!  It's going to take a while to get used to the heat, but I'm no wimp!  Oh, and tomorrow is Sporty Sunday in the village!  And Wednesday is card club!  I think these two months are going to go by so quickly!

Sorry that there are no pictures today -- I'll try to put some up soon.... but I'm really lazy!  Plus its 6:30 and already dark in our house.  Maybe later I'll tell you how AWESOME our showers (read: small mud room)and toilet (read: hole in the ground surrouded by tons of flies) are!  No but really, it's not that bad at all!  And the food is great too!  I probably eat better here than I do at home. 

Hope all is well back in the homeland! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Sounds like fun. I can tell that time will fly!

    ReplyDelete